Thursday, November 1, 2012

Author Interview | Melissa Wray

Welcome to another exciting episode of BooksBooks&MoreBooks!
Today we feature Melissa Wray, author of Destiny's Road!
Hello Melissa! Welcome to my little corner of the world.
Melissa WrayWho is Jessica and why is she such a great character?
Jessica is a 16 year old girl who meets her biological father for the first time. He never knew she was born and she had never really thought about the fact it was just and her mother. Six months after she meets Bill (her dad) for the first time, she is moved away by her mother to begin a new life in a new place. Jessica is a great character because she goes on this journey of living with the decisions made by others as well as living with the decisions she ultimately makes. You can’t help but feel connected to Jessica as she struggles with the different relationships in her life.

When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I have always been a big reader I grew up about 600m from our local library. I spent a lot of time at that place. I always knew I wanted to be a primary school teacher and loved teaching literacy. Then about six years ago I decided to take a Professional Writing course. It was after I had my first child and I naively thought I would have a lot of time to write! Originally my intended audience was a middle aged reader as that was the age group I had mostly taught in. But funnily enough I seemed to have found my voice in the Young Adult genre.

What is your favorite scene in Destiny Road that has brought on the most emotion out of you?
There are a couple! There are scenes that made me laugh out loud while I was writing and scenes that made tears well up each time I edited it. But there is a scene not long after Jessica makes the hardest decision of her life that holds the most emotion. It was written almost entirely to fact. When I was 16 I went to live with my dad for the first time just like Jessica does. That scene was written from my experience after deciding to live my father. Almost twenty years later I can still vividly recall the emotions of that day.

Tell us why we should read Destiny Road in 5 words.
Life, choices, heartbreak, consequences, acceptance.

Are you working on anything at the moment? If so can you tell us a bit about it?
I have three ideas I am working on. It depends on what mood I am in to which one I work on! They are all very different ideas but all for the young adult audience. I will give you the working titles so far. Summer Change, Late Bloomer, Date of Death.

What is the one thing that readers don't know about you?
When I watch television I tilt my head to the right. The more I concentrate, the more it tilts. This can be very embarrassing at the movie theater when the stranger next to me thinks I am staring at them!

What is the one thing you've always wanted to try but were afraid to do?
I’ve always wanted to try scuba diving but the thought of being that far below the water’s surface terrifies me!
Thanks so much Martha for hosting me!

Follow Melissa: Blog | Goodreads
Purchase Destiny's Road: B&N | Amazon

Watch the Destiny Road Book Trailer!
.
That's all for today folks! Make sure to check out Destiny's Road and Melissa Wray! 
-Martha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...